Wednesday, February 28, 2007

No more fear of flying

I am such a rookie when it comes to Global Warming. Remember, I decided to write a blog about this subject and about what we can do to limit its impact on our lives because I wanted to force myself to learn more about it (and pass it on.)

This is how I learned about TerraPass. It's a perfect example of how we can do something about global warming, instead of waiting for governments and companies to solve the problem for us.

The first step we can take to fight global warming is to reduce our carbon footprint through conservation. No doubt about it. That means driving less, turning down the thermostat (at our house the temperature never goes above 65, and only when we are there), and buy locally produced goods. Among other things. But what if you HAVE to fly? What if you HAVE to take your car to go to work?

TerraPass helps you to reduce your carbon footprint all the way down to zero. How? The TerraPass website explain it. "When you buy a TerraPass, your money funds renewable energy projects such as wind farms. These projects result in verified reductions in greenhouse gas pollution. And these reductions counterbalance your own emissions."

And there are some great tools on the web site to calculate our own carbon emission from driving, flying or just staying home.

For example, let's say I need to go to New York for business. A round trip San Francisco - New York is 5,156 miles long. As one passenger, I will contribute on the emission of 2,010 lbs of CO2 in the atmosphere. In order to carbon balance my flight, TerraPass suggest I buy a TerraPass Puddle Jumper, that balances out 2,500 lbs of carbon dioxide – about 6,000 miles of flying. It's costs $9.99. I think we cannot fly anywhere anymore without considering its impact.

I will never fly again without counter balancing the emissions I'm responsible for. Are you with me?

Photo by dipdewdog

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who's about to fly to New York for a few days, that IS interesting. I'm curious whether you've heard of alternatives. For example, how would planting a tree offset my flight? Or perhaps whether some airlines do better than others in offsetting their own emissions?

Luca said...

David,

Excellent point. That's an option too. Based on CarbonBank (www.carbonbankusa.com site), each air travel hour (about 576 miles) produces CO2 which may be absorbed by a quarter of a tree. Therefore 4 hours of air travel = 1 tree ($12). Check out this great source for worldwide sites to offset our carbon footprint www.ecobusinesslinks.com/

Planting trees or funding alternatives energies... In the end the important thing is doing something to become carbon neutral.

Anonymous said...

You inspired me to replace all our lightbulbs today with energy-efficient, long-life bulbs. This Sunday, I am feeling a little greener.

Luca said...

Awesome! That's a great first step. Which ones you got and where? Trying to see if there are better bulbs than others...